Saturday, March 8, 2008

The bike helmet.

I checked out a new bike shop here in Chicago called Roscoe Village Bikes, (a really great little shop - they have an awesome dog named Buddy in the shop!). The owners, Alex and Leslie, were great - super helpful and knowledgeable.

They carry a brand of helmets called Uvex, who makes most of their helmets in Germany! Although I wasn't in need of a new helmet just yet, just out of curiosity, I tried on a Uvex helmet - the Boss Race model. I have a narrower head, and helmets tend to fit very uncomfortably - leaving a ton of room on the sides of my head, and creating a lot of pressure on the front and back. But, to my surprise, the Boss Race felt GREAT! It fit my narrow head really well, was really adjustable and well-padded, and was venty. I special ordered a white colored version, and a few days later, picked it up!



Uvex helmets have slots where you can put on a rear blinking light and two front blinking lights (also made in Germany) - they're awesome!

Visit the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute - a great resource on bicycle helmets - plus, they say WHERE most helmets are made! Randy is a super knowledgeable and nice guy.

That's that!

No comments: