Monday, June 16, 2008

The iPod Case

2011 EDIT: Looks like Q1AP is no longer in business... too bad, so sad!

Ok, let's get it out there in the open: iPods are made in China, and until the press found out about it (here's a link to a mirror of the first article), they were made by people getting paid next to nothing, and in less than ideal working conditions, to say the least. However, Apple has (apparently) turned over a new leaf, and claims to be "dedicated to ensuring that working conditions are safe and employees are treated with respect and dignity wherever Apple products are made." - scary that a company even has to SAY that.

So, all that said, I own an iPod - an 80GB Video - I bought one used for $50, and I like it. The day I got it, I realized that I needed a case for it, since it travels with me all day long in my backpack. So I set out on an iJourney to find a good iPod case that was Made in USA.

After a little digging, I found the iArmor, Made in California by A1 Quality Products. They're machined out of aluminum, and anodized... and they aren't bulky, aren't heavy, and you didn't need a special tool to put it on, as it's held together with magnets. So I called them up, and had a great talk with Joe Davis, the owner of A1QP, about the iArmor, and about the kind of stuff I write about here, and we have very similar philosophies, which was great to hear! So after telling him which iPod I had, he got to work, and BOOM, my iArmor arrived!



The iArmor is aptly named - although I wouldn't want to drive over my iPod with my car, I apparently could, as A1QP's website has video of (not recommended, obviously). It comes with a hard plastic screen protector, a click wheel protector, and obviously, the anodized aluminum cover. There's a thin rubber material inside to help with shock absortion as well. I've had mine for a couple of months already, and besides my iPod obviously functioning perfectly, the case still looks good as new.

And for you iPhone nuts (which I hope to be someday), A1 Quality Products makes iArmor for iPhones, as well as cases for some older Nano and Shuffle iPods.

And on related note, look for a future post on headphones for an iPod... as soon as I can scrape some money together, I've got my eye on a killer pair!

No comments: